LINKS ARE NOW AT THE BOTTOM

LINKS ARE NOW AT THE BOTTOM

Big Red Button!!!


Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Interests

As I have mentioned my interests in the self-introduction below, let me elaborate further.


I picked up badminton when I was in a student care centre during my Primary School years where the sport was included as one of the activities during our free time. I progressed from someone who could barely return the shuttlecock to quite a good player, as I played it day after day for about an hour. Nowadays, I play badminton with my relatives once in a fortnight on weekends if I am free, interchangeably with swimming which I learnt when I went for a compulsory swimming course in Primary 4. Badminton is very interesting, I find, when you observe the look of your opponent after you deceive them and score a point.




Moving on to reading, I developed an interest for it during Primary One, when I would read books by Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl. Though being unable to have a grasp of some vocabulary used in those books, I was able to understand the main story and found the experience very enjoyable and interesting, one that I would want to experience over and over again. This eventually led to my doing well in written English assignments, but I would always fall a few marks short of the top grade because of my poor Oral reading skills.

I played my first video/computer game which was Super Mario, and if I remember correctly, it was on the Game Boy Color. (blame Nintendo for the American spelling!) Later, I moved on to playing basic computer games and then to the more sophisticated ones, and also from educational or non-violent to more violent ones. While some people blame these video games for being the root cause of violence, I also feel that if we can draw the line between real and virtual, such things will not happen. The most extreme acts of violence are usually performed by obsessed gamers who spend all day playing very violent computer games. Many middle aged adults argue that gaming is addictive, and also while it can be, it is the ultimate stress reliever. So for me, gaming is a double-edged sword.



One of my favourite games is Battlefield 2, released in 2005, and it is a military themed team game, which allows up to 16 players in a game usually, but I modified mine to create over a 100 "bots". (Artificially Intelligent players) The game has three modes of combat on land, on water and in air which is fought simultaneously on a large battlefield and the game ends when a side is evidently being held off for a long time. Also, there is a Revival system unique to the game, in which if you are critically wounded, a medic has the chance to save you if he arrives on the scene within 10 seconds of the occurrence. Doing so highlights the importance of support roles which are often overlooked. I especially like this game because it promotes teamwork on a macro scale and not just a small group such as in other team-based games like Counter-Strike.

I made this video with me playing as a support unit on the defending team.

Watch out for the part where a parachuting soldier landed on me, killing me at about 1 minute into the video. Sorry about the lag which starts at about 1.5 minutes.



Here's another one with me playing on the attack team as a scout unit. A demonstration of the Revival system is shown here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment